AmeriCorps Needs You — Stand for Service Today!
Today’s guest blog is written by AmeriCorps Alums Co-Executive Directors Ben Duda and Mary Bruce.
AmeriCorps Alums is dedicated to making sure you know about the latest national service news. AmeriCorps is on the chopping block – and we need your help! While Congress has passed a two-year budget deal, the fight to save AmeriCorps is not over. Congress is making decisions about funding for specific programs NOW (this week!) – and we need you to tell your representatives and the White House why AmeriCorps is the best investment they can make!
Please take 10 minutes TODAY to #Stand4Service and protect the future of AmeriCorps! Here’s how:
- Visit www.voices4service.org. Take action by asking Senator Blunt and Representative Cole to support national service. Senator Roy Blunt of Missouri and Representative Tom Cole of Oklahoma chair the committees who will determine the final funding levels. Let’s make sure they join us and #Stand4Service
- Find Your 3 Congressional Representatives: Visit http://www.congressmerge.com/ and find both of your U.S. senators and one member of the House of Representatives. Once you have found your members’ names, click on each of their names and you will be taken to a page with all of their contact information, including their D.C. phone numbers. If you are not sure who your members of Congress are, please click here and input your home address.
- Call Your Representatives: Once you have your 3 congressional members’ D.C. phone numbers, call their offices and tell the staff that you are calling in support of full funding for the Corporation for National and Community Service in the FY 2016 Appropriations legislation.
- Use Our Call Script. Click here to print out a sample script to make it easy for you to talk about why AmeriCorps matters! It is not necessary that you speak directly to your lawmaker. Be passionate (but not argumentative!) and thank the person for listening to your request.
- E-mail the White House. Our partner Voices for National Service has written a draft e-mail you can send to key leaders in the Obama Administration. It’s really easy: click here, add your e-mail address, and hit send. And then ask your friend and colleagues to do the same.
- Call Senator Blunt. Senator Blunt is the Chairman of the Labor-HHS Appropriations Subcommittee. He is the key decision-maker when it comes to national service funding. Click here for talking points, and help us urge Senator Blunt to #Stand4Service.
Want to do more? Get active on social media. Ask your member of Congress to #Stand4Service and e-mail your member of Congress. Want to learn more? Register for a call with Service Nation and Voices for National Service today – Monday, November 16th from 11:30-12:30 p.m. EST.
As alums, we understand the power of national service better than anyone. Let’s save service.
Share this blog with your friends and colleagues to encourage them to help today!