Our Sincere Thanks to The Founders and Trailblazers
Before “getting things done” became a mission, it was a vision. In the words of John Gomperts, a former AmeriCorps Director who helped found AmeriCorps and now serves as the president and CEO of America’s Promise Alliance, the founders of AmeriCorps shared a dream that “a new national service program would offer young people a great opportunity to serve and learn, and that through their service they would help to create opportunities for others.” Today, those leaders who helped establish AmeriCorps continue to invest in national service and its alumni as part of the AmeriCorps Alums Founders Club. Join us in giving thanks to The Founders Club with special thanks to our Steering Committee Members (click here to tweet):
- AnnMaura Connolly, President of Voices for National Service;
- John Gomperts, President and CEO of America’s Promise Alliance;
- Robert Gordon III, President of Be the Change, Inc.;
- Melinda Hudson, Vice President of America’s Promise Alliance;
- Deb Jospin, Founder of Sagawa/Jospin;
- Shirley Sagawa, Chief Service Officer of the Serve Year Exchange;
- and Harris Wofford, former U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania.
This 21st birthday would also not be possible without the courage of the AmeriCorps members who stood up to serve and volunteered in the first ten years of AmeriCorps, paving the way for millions to follow.
In honor of this milestone, five inspiring alums created The AmeriCorps Alums Trailblazers Club to reconnect with and reinvest in AmeriCorps and its alums. We invite you to give thanks to these trailblazers (click here to tweet). We’re especially grateful to our Steering Committee Members who helped launch this initiative:
- Emily Cherniack: City Year Boston AmeriCorps (2001-2002), Founder, New Politics;
- William Consuegra: Texas Youth Harvest AmeriCorps (1994-1995), Senior Economic Development Specialist for Commerce City, CO;
- Emily Gilliland: Volunteer Maryland AmeriCorps Member (1996-1998), President and CEO, Camp Fire Columbia;
- Seth Marbin: AmeriCorps Youth Volunteer (1995-1996), AmeriCorps VISTA (1998), AmeriCorps Promise Fellow with City Year (1999-2000), Program Manager at GooglersGive, Google;
- and Roger Wong: AmeriCorps Massachusetts Promise Fellowship (2003-2005), Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, Marsh & McLennan Companies.