Our Holiday Gift to the AmeriCorps Alums Community
Your leadership and professional development is a top priority. This holiday season, our gift to you is open access to the AmeriCorps Alums Virtual Graduate School Fair. Numerous studies have shown that average starting salaries for employees with a Master’s degree are significantly more than for those with a Bachelor’s degree or less. Uniquely, our grad school fair will only feature schools that match the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, or offer incentives exclusively for Alums. Through the participating schools, you can significantly reduce Master’s degree expenses or eliminate them all together.
If you are even considering graduate school, we encourage you to give 30-60 minutes of your time on Thursday, December 12, 2013 between 1PM to 5PM Eastern time. You can learn more about participating schools or register here. The event will feature 15 different institutions, and will offer a wide variety of degree programs. Also, to help you successfully prepare for the event, AmeriCorps Alums has provided a guide of best practices and standard questions to consider for the upcoming event.
- Browse the participating schools before the event starts! We recommend viewing the schools prior to the event. Browsing the schools prior to the event will give you an idea of which schools you want to talk to on the day of the event, helping you to maximize your time. If you aren’t sure about a particular school, put them on your list of schools to talk to so you can get a better sense of the school by chatting with a school representative. Each school can help you understand the type of learning environment that they will provide, as well as the financial incentive they provide to AmeriCorps alumni. Over 1,000 alumni are registered for this event, and we recommend that you do your homework before the event so your time is maximized.
- Have boiler-plate text ready to go: Open up Notepad, TextEdit, Microsoft Word or another program and have some standard answers and questions typed up that you can copy/paste into the chat window. It’s not essential, but having some boilerplate questions and responses ready to copy/paste can move the conversation along faster.
- Use Ratings, Notes and Dashboard! After each conversation, you’ll get the chance to rate the school from 1 to 5 stars, and take notes. Use this tool to help you identify the top schools out of all you spoke with – – rate your “follow up” schools a 4 or a 5.
- We Love Feedback! If you have feedback about the event please let us know. We consider all feedback and take it seriously as we are always looking for ways to make the experience optimal for all participants.
- Consider these standard questions
- What is the standard length of your school’s program?
- What is the yearly tuition (with and without the AmeriCorps Alums incentive)?
- What is your school’s job placement rate after graduation?
- What types of jobs are you seeing your graduates pursue?
- What are some of the organizations your graduates are working for?
- Who are some of your school’s internship/externship partners?
- What is the number 1 reason I should apply to your school?
- Would I be able to talk with some of your graduates/current students about their experience?
- Does your application process include interviews, and are they in-person or virtual?