Skip to content

AmeriCorps Alums Membership Directory: CELEBRATING 15 YEARS OF NATIONAL SERVICE

August 13, 2009

Get ready for the definitive AmeriCorps Yearbook!

AmeriCorps Alums has been working with a company called Harris Connect, LLC. Harris is a twenty year old company who mainly works with universities and colleges to put together alumni directories. They have tested systems to search for and scrub data, collect information and then create and design a final product that they sell to the members (usually alumni) of the organization.

Our final product is going to be a 15th Anniversary AmeriCorps Alums Yearbook! Harris Connect branched out last year when they did a book for the Peace Corps, including not only a directory but also profiles of each RPCV who sent in a story as well as a photo section.  It was a huge success.  With AmeriCorps Alums, we are improving the  idea to include stories with photos and profiles of alumni who choose to share. Contact info will only be listed is the alumni wants it to be listed. It will be the only compilation of AmeriCorps profiles of this kind in existence!

We have a signed contract that has very long confidentiality clauses.  In no way shape or form will Harris Connect use the alumni data that they collect.  It is strictly for the yearbook and a great way to connect with you all and have a record of the amazing things you’ve done!  Please help us by contributing a story, picture or BOTH!

And here’s some more info. about Harris if you’d like to take a look:

Harris Connect’s Community Connections™:  Harris Connect helps thousands of organizations connect with millions of constituents, and millions of constituents connect with one another. These connections create bonds that increase participation, membership and support. They have integrated solutions that helps companies engage people and exceed their goals.

Check them out at http://www.memberconnections.com http://www.harrisconnect.com.

37 Comments leave one →
  1. DIANE PICCIUOLO permalink
    August 14, 2009 10:51 am

How do we submit a story and picture for this wonderful directory?

2. August 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Diane! You’ll be sent a postcard asking you to call/get online to share your story/pictures… we’ll also post the link for people who for some reason don’t get the postcard.

3. August 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Whether a profile will be completed on Aums who tell their stories?

4. August 29, 2009 8:10 am

I did not receive a post card,and I have been looking out for the link. Will someone contact me at my email address to keep me abreast. Thanking you, in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

5. Kristin permalink
    October 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Someone should ask Americorps to put a link or blurb on their site talking about the alumni verification request. The email looks like something sent out by spambots and there’s no easy way to find out it’s legit. Will probably lost a lot of alumni data if this is not taken care of! 😦

6. October 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for letting us know Kristin! We’re working to get it on their front page as I type.

7. Jurden Alexander permalink
    October 20, 2009 8:51 am

let’s not forget VISTA

8. October 21, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks Jurden! VISTA has been ‘grandfathered’ in to the AmeriCorps family… so when we refer to AmeriCorps Alums, it includes all VISTA’s!

9. Jennifer permalink
    October 21, 2009 11:50 am

I also thought that the email was spam. It actually went into my spam box.

10. October 26, 2009 12:37 pm

My VISION: to see AmeriCorp Vista’s Nationally in Housing Authority communies,providing our area of services,with the purpose of enhancing Housing Authorties Missions.

11. HIPOLITO GONZALEZ HERNANDEZ permalink
    November 12, 2009 8:00 pm

AMERICORPS ES UN PROGRAMA QUE SIGNIFICO MUCHO EN MI VIDA, Y LA AYUDA QUE BRINDA A LA COMUNIDAD REALMENTE NECESITAMOS RECONOCER A TODOS LOS EMPLEADOS QUE HAN PASADO POR EL MISMO

12. Jean permalink
    November 13, 2009 12:00 pm

I too thought this was some type of spam and just went to verify only today.

13. Dinah permalink
    November 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Trying to join back up with the Vista Alumnis,i would like to share
    my testimony,and get involved.I need some back-up, having a real problem trying to register online.

14. November 23, 2009 10:51 am

Dinah, I’m sorry you are having problems! As with all technology, there could be a computer problem, browser problem or any number of other things that are causing you to have a difficult time registering. I suggest trying a different browser and if that does not work, a different computer. If you are not able after a couple of tries, please feel free to contact me at wsoenksen@americorpsalums.org.

15. Kim permalink
    December 1, 2009 7:21 pm

I had the web site to put my info on and it got erased on accident how do I get back there again. An e-mail would be great Thanks

16. December 2, 2009 10:51 am

Kim (and all!)

You can get in touch with Harris Connect about your order or anything else by calling 1-800-877-6554… each person has their own unique link to their information and I don’t have that, so I can’t pass it along!

17. Cristina Bailey permalink
    December 2, 2009 6:35 pm

I did call them, but felt very uncomfortable about providing personal information. I still think it’s a very bad idea to provide personal information to anyone you are not personally connected with. Sorry!

18. Allyson permalink
    December 3, 2009 4:15 pm

I tried to ask when I called them, but I didn’t get a clear answer through the call or the postcard and I don’t see the information on the website. Is this a book that people will buy? Who will have access to it? Why would you want your address in it? If you don’t give them your address, will your name still be in it?

Thank you!

19. December 7, 2009 10:26 am

I am deeply disturbed that this Yearbook is going to cost so much money and that a purchase has to be made right now. It would have been better to wait till Summer and move away from the Christmas Season.

The cost is a big issue, in fact my High School Yearbooks didn’t cost this much for all four years combined. I would like to order one, but payment could not be made till later in the year.

20. December 8, 2009 11:40 am

Eric,

We realize that the yearbook is a lot of money for most folks… but here’s why we did it…
    Harris Connect agreed to take on this large data collection (and consequently book selling) project for FREE. Being a nonprofit, we did not have the funds or resources (ie- staff) to take on such a large project ourselves or pay for it! We hope to use the information that we receive from Harris to stay in touch with alums and let you know about ways you can continue to ‘Get Things Done’!

21. Prav permalink
    December 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Is Harris Connect doing anything with our data, e.g., selling it? I’m a tad suspicious of the numerous e-mails and post cards I’ve been receiving. I know they will be making money off the sale of the book, but I’m slightly worried about my information.

22. January 4, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for checking in about this. Harris Connect is not and will not sell your information or do anything with it other than update AmeriCorps Alums and put it in the Yearbook (if that’s what you indicated). We contracted with them to update and verify our large database b/c we just didn’t have the capacity to do it ourselves!

23. Sandra Marak permalink
    January 9, 2010 11:22 am

I too am put off by the cost of the membership book. I understand they need to make money.
    Why doesn’t this web site have a way to connect former Vista and AmeriCorps alums? Seem simple to me to set up a section :the year and city where we were working and then we could add our name and contact info. and what good we continue to do. It might be interesting to know if the next group continued our work.
    Thanks for taking off the membership cost …I would rather donate and do also support many charities.
    Blessings,
    Sandra

24. January 11, 2010 11:49 am

Sandra,

Thank you for your comment. As I type, we are adding a quicklink for VISTA alumni. Please feel free to register at americorpsalums.org and fill out your profile to connect with others you may have served with (there is a ‘search’ feature!)

25. Disatisfied permalink
    January 12, 2010 5:16 pm

I still think this is a scam. I went through the entire biography process and they wanted me to spend tons of money on a copy of the directory. I said no so they asked if I wanted other commerative items for lesser dollar amounts. I had to be downright rude to get them off of the phone. I also have to question why this is a wordpress blog and not an AmeriCorp.gov webpage.

It’s a sad sad time when people prey upon American citizens who are eager to help their neighbor.

26. January 12, 2010 5:36 pm

I will assure you it’s not a scam, however because Harris is taking on this huge project at no cost to us, they must try to sell the yearbook and other items to make up the cost difference.

And the reason that this blog is hosted by wordpress and not AmeriCorps.gov is because AmeriCorps (otherwise known as the Corporation for National and Community Service) is a government agency. AmeriCorps Alums as an organization- http://www.americorpsalums.org – is a nonprofit that operates with the blessing of AmeriCorps, but is not underwritten or otherwise funded by the Corporation. We do not have the bandwidth on our server to host the blog internally.

Participation as an alum (as with most alumni associations) is strictly voluntary, but we did want to give everyone the opportunity!

27. Disatisfied permalink
    January 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Well why were they so pushy about getting my money?? I politely said I am not interested and they continued to ask me to buy other products. You have to be suspicious in this day and age when there are scams in every walk of life.

28. January 21, 2010 12:26 pm

I’m sorry about their pushiness! I’ve been in touch numerous times to ask that their customer service folks take it down a notch and I will be sure to pass your feedback along as well. We are happy about data collection, but no so happy about the rudeness!

29. Bethany Joy Lange permalink
    January 22, 2010 5:37 pm

I, too, opted not to purchase it due to the high cost. I wonder if this yearbook will end up being worth it? I understand not having the money & ability to do it a different way, but it feels a bit like a slap in the face to work for effectively no money, learn amazing skills, develop great friendships and valuable networks, but then charge so much to be able to reconnect. I agree that having some version of this yearbook online would be most valuable, but in a way that is more “moderated” than a facebook group or something. I was really disappointed about the cost – I would certainly have wanted one if it were more affordable.

30. olivia sandles permalink
    February 8, 2010 7:14 pm

I agree, the cost is an issue, I was not told the cost of the directory over the phone. If I had been informed of the cost I would have hung up immediately. I agree it is a wonderful idea, but the cost (WOW)!! and because I showed an interest and supplied some information I keep getting over due billing statements for an item, I never committed to and have not received and do not want .

31. Kathy permalink
    February 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I have ordered a copy of the Alums yearbook. When should we expect the publication to be finished and sent out?

32. February 18, 2010 12:41 pm

The finished product is supposed to be shipped out around April I believe!

33. Kathy permalink
    February 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Okay, thank you! Keep up the great work and keep “Getting Things Done”.

34. Nikki permalink
    March 2, 2010 10:01 pm

I ordered a book and I foolishly agreed to accept the free three months of 3 magazines. They sent out a postcard with a phone number for me to contact to cancel when my trial period is over but I accidentally threw it away. Would anyone know that number or be able to refer me to whomever I need to speak with to cancel? Thanks a bunch!

35. March 3, 2010 11:54 am

Let me check into that and I’ll get right back to you!

36. Nikki permalink
    March 15, 2010 9:46 am

I was able to locate that number. In case anyone else needs that number it is to magazine direct and the number is 800-607-9869.

37. March 19, 2010 11:16 am