AmeriCorps Alums Chapters Making Impact for 9/11
Across the country, AmeriCorps Alums national chapters commemorated 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance through service to their local communities. Similar to MLK Day, 9/11 Day has become an annual event for Alums to continue incorporating service into their life after AmeriCorps. With resources available online and events held offline, it’s a great time to fall back into the spirit of service.
Here are some of the service events our chapters hosted to commemorate 9/11 Day:
- Atlanta: On September 15, 2012, The Atlanta Chapter of AmeriCorps Alums served with MedShare, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving healthcare and the environment through the efficient recovery and redistribution of the surplus of medical supplies and equipment to those most in need. Dedicated volunteers helped to sort and prepare the medical supplies for international shipping. MedShare’s operations depend on its volunteers to get these life-saving supplies to people who desperately need them and we’re glad Alums were able to help!
- Columbus: On September 8, 2012, our Columbus Alums helped out with a cleanup at Goodale Park. Knowing that it could potentially rain and that some may miss the kickoff of the Buckeye football game, Alums stayed committed to getting things done! See the volunteer report from Friends of Goodale Park here.
- Los Angeles: On September 15, 2012, our LA Chapter cleaned up the Pacific coasts in partnership with Coaching Corps Los Angeles. They helped to clean the beaches from 9am – 12pm, and then continued to have some beach fun with volleyball, frisbee, and food.
- New Hampshire: On September 8, 2012, our Alums made a climb up Wildcat D Mountain with some current VISTA’s in tribute to 9/11. See the full album of their hike and Raising of the American flag on one of the 48 4,000 footers for Flags on the 48 in remembrance of 9/11.
- North Texas: On 9/11, our North Texas Alums wrote letter to veterans and AmeriCorps members currently serving in disaster relief roles.
- SF Bay Area: On September 15, 2012, our Alums served at The Veterans Academy located in San Francisco’s beautiful Presidio where it offers permanent supportive housing to 102 formerly homeless veterans with disabilities. They helped with interior painting at the academy to help brighten the place up. Volunteers will also help to spruce up the Presidio pet cemetery through service tasks include general yard maintenance: weeding, trimming shrubs and removing branches and trash.
- St. Louis: Continuing on their tradition of serving on 9/11, our St. Louis Chapter helped out at the Greenwood Cemetery on September 8, 2012.
If you’re looking to join a local chapter, please see the full listing of our active chapters. If you’d like to start the local chapter in your city, please email Greg Heinrich, our Alumni Mobilization Manager for more info.
How did you serve during 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance?