Why Did You Serve?
In celebration of the Fourth of July, we and AmeriCorps asked current and alumni AmeriCorps members why they chose to serve our country. AmeriCorps has brought over 775,000 members into service and each of us came into it for a variety of reasons. The inspiring responses gave us some insight as to our motivations to give back and help those in the community around us, while reinvigorating our fire to continue advocating for MORE opportunities to serve in AmeriCorps.
Here are some of the reasons why your fellow Alums proudly wore that ‘A’ on their sleeves:
- For veterans, a way to continue serving
- Veterans returning from military service are looking for ways to be integrated back into civilian life and are looking to continue serving. Some vets are looking for ways to serve their fellow veterans returning from war. Vet Corps has given service men and women the opportunity to continue to give back and be recognized for their continued service to our country!
- An opportunity to make a difference
- AmeriCorps is a chance to make a real difference in your local and national community. Whether you’re looking to mentor students into pursuing higher education or serve in disaster response, there was and is an opportunity for you to serve. Alums shared that they wanted to put their principles into action and AmeriCorps was a great way to do so.
- A way to serve domestically
- For members who were still in school, programs like JumpStart were a great way to serve while still pursuing their education in the States. AmeriCorps can also serve as an introduction for members who maybe interested in pursuing international service with Peace Corps as skills, such as community building, patience, and resourcefulness, are transferrable in their lifetime of service.
- Contributing to a better future
- As we’ve seen in the teachers in Teach for America, corps members in City Year, and builders in Habitat for Humanity, all of the work members and alumni are doing help to contribute to a better and brighter future for our country. AmeriCorps members are on the ground working to solve some of our country’s toughest problems, while using their resources to get the job done. Along the way, we hope that the work that we’ve done will inspire a next generation to serve.
- Why not?
- As an alum simply stated, “Why not?” And it makes sense – why not give back and make our country better through a year of service? One alum shared that she took her parents’ advice to get paid to do something that you love. Another shared that he hoped to lead and inspire the next generation into a new positive direction. Whatever the reason you’d like to give back, AmeriCorps has an opportunity for that.
What were your reasons for serving in AmeriCorps?